Friday, July 6, 2012

Ducklings aren't wild animals...

I received my first 6 rabies shots Tuesday at approximately 4:00 p.m.  By Wed evening we were up at a family cottage enjoying the beauty of Macgregor Lake in Quebec.  At approximately 7:00 p.m. I was touching these!!!



Because why?  Because they LET me!!  They were begging for it in point of fact.  Or perhaps they were begging for the hamburger bun in my hand, but they were definitely begging and I will  say with near religious certainty that at least 5 of those ducklings leapt willingly into my waiting hands.  (Or up at the hamburger bun in my hand)  But at least they didn't squawk too much when I gathered them to my bosom and tried to nestle them into my cleavage.  Two might have been kissed upon their wee little duckling breasts.

Upon which action David could be heard yelling from the dock, "You JUST got a rabies shots!!!  Do the words avian flu mean NOTHING to you?!?!"

To which I replied, "I JUST got rabies shots - this is the BEST time for me to be doing this!!!" 

If I could have snuck a duckling away from its mother,  all warm and cozy in my cleavage, I would have one on the desk right now beside the keyboard in a tub of water - cavorting, making little quack-quack noises...

As I got the 7th of my rabies shots today, David attempted to make me promise  that I would stop trying to pick up stray animals. 

"I can't promise you that." 

"Why not?" 

"Because I would be lying.  The best I can do is say that I won't try to pick up feral animals - the ones that just look mean and skitter away when I call to them.  A stray cat might be stray because it got lost.  Even if it doesn't have a collar, it could still be a relatively tame cat who might just want to get picked up."

David sometimes gets this look on his face.  It's the look that says "You are insane."  But I have the "My logic cannot be bound by the traditional notions of how most people think the world should work" look.  Usually when I hit him with that he gets sidetracked - depends if I'm waggling my eyebrows at the same time.

On my walk tonight... I might have, uh... maybe... pet two cats.  But they were totally someone's housecats, even if they didn't have collars.  One of them actually laid upon her back and begged to have her belly rubbed, and as feral cats definitely don't  exhibit that sort of behaviour, I had to touch it.  You know what they say... "If I cat offers its belly...   Heather will go out of her way to touch it."  But too be fair, I'd do the same for David too.





No comments:

Post a Comment