Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Brought to you by the letters... S C O T C and H



Clumping cat litter?  When it gets covered with a deluge of water?  When you're trying to get it off the floor with paper towels or scoop it up into a dust pan?  VERY close, in consistency and appearance, to cat diarrhea.  (quelling urge to vomit)  Even though I KNOW that it's NOT cat diarrhea, the look of it, the feel of it...  and given that the water covering it was slightly warm... the temperature of it?  NOT what I want to be cleaning up first thing in the morning.

Which is why the last time I had to do it, I then gave the job of emptying  the emergency (HAH!) water catcher container thingie, which resides under the boiler's pressure valve in the depths of our Hannibal Lecter basement, to Rissa.  Has she done it?? No, she has not.  I gave her the job because, at the age of 12, her brain should still work.  And yet, as per yesterday's post, the passing of that particular baton was... pre-mature.    Apparently, in all my peri-menopause, multiple concussions, wonky freakin' thyroid glory - my brain still works better than the other people co-habitating with me.  And I forget things ALL THE TIME!!  And I forget WORDS.  Words for nouns, like 'teapot' and 'dish towel'... and that's on a good day.

I'm going to have to put post-it notes all around the house, like someone with Alzheimer's, reminding me to do things because I get distracted.  (See Don't Open That Tupperware - 4th paragraph.)  Nearly last on my daily list of things to accomplish has been to empty the emergency water catcher container thingie.  We already had to safeguard our unreliable-boiler-circumvention-system by putting a paving stone in the bottom of the emergency water catcher container thingie, so that the cats wouldn't keep knocking it over, you know, for cat fun.   They would dance around in the faux cat diarrhea soup (quelling urge to vomit) and then leave little clay cat footprints ALL over the house.  Good times.

Some would suggest that it might be time to replace our inconsistent-at-best boiler.   Some have WAY more money in their savings than we do.  We just need to keep vigil over the water level and empty it every couple/three days during the heating season.  Easy Peasy.  (HAH!)  I had a EUREKA!! moment this morning and finally moved the kitty litter boxes further away from the sub-boiler flood plain, scooped, paper toweled, mopped the floors AND reorganized under the stairs (because I got distracted) ALL before 9:00 a.m.  And you know what?  Scotch smells really good at 9:30 in the morning.  Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. LOL Heather! Scotch, hmm, may have to try that out!...well, later, like July! Maybe I could bust into some dark chocolate though and that would help me! I need some form of therapy and the moulah isn't there for retail therapy, can't have the booze, so yes, HELLO CHOCOLATE! : ) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good dark chocolate can be AS satisfying as booze Cathy! Trust me, I've done research in this area!

      Delete
  2. I'd be drinking too if that happened to me. But gross stuff happens to wives and moms all the time--you start to get immune to it. Yesterday we were all standing in the kitchen cooking when the dog crapped right in the middle of the floor next to us. Years ago that stuff would have made me gag, but now....I just scoop that sh** up and go back to stirring the pasta in the pot. But oh yeah, I gotta wash down the evening with a good Pinot Grigio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair, David does empty most of the truly disgusting food from the fridge clean out. He just never seems to be around for the interesting bowel-related stuff.

    ReplyDelete